Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Filter Bubbles

Dr. Preston showed us an incredible video today that can be found here


a)What new information did you learn from the video?
I learned exactly what this TED talk was meant to teach me. The internet is ridding of information we might not want to see by looking at our past sources. Google, Facebook, and Yahoo News are all different for each person that reaches them.
b)How does this information make you think differently about what you see online?
I thought I saw what everybody else saw, but after watching this video I now realize that what I am viewing is biased and if I were to really want an unbiased opinion on a subject I would need to find a new source.
c)What questions does this video raise about the Internet in general?
If the internet is doing this now, then what harm will come to us in the future? Will we all become codependent closeminded drones?
and d)How can you improve the effectiveness of your searches?
You need to become specific. If you want to learn more about modern egypt you cannot just type in the word egypt because it might give you hotels avaliable there. You need to type in such things as: the egyptian economy 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment