Search This Blog

Monday, September 16, 2013

Vocab 5

obsequious: obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree
Her boyfriend was so obsequious towards her that he was deemed "clingy".
beatitude: supreme blessedness.

I felt a sense of beatitude when I earned an A on a test I did not take.
bete noire:  a detested person

Nobody liked her so she was given the nickname bete noire.
bode: to be an omen of a particular outcome

Many say that a using a wiji board can lead to a bad bode.
dank: 
disagreeably damp, musty, and typically cold

The swamp was so dank it was hard to see.
ecumenical: worldwide or general in extent, influence, or application

The royal wedding was so ecumenical that many tuned in from all around the world to witness.
fervid: intensely enthusiastic or passionate, esp. to an excessive degree

My friend is considered fervid because he started his own club on campus.
fetid: smelling extremely unpleasant

The fetid odor kept me from entering the room.
gargantuan: enormous

The gargantuan chair made me feel smaller then I already am.
heyday: The period of greatest popularity, success, or power; prime

I believe America had it's heyday during the 1960s
incubus: a nightmare

Last night my incubus included me not getting in to college.
infrastructure: is basic physical and organizational structures needed for the operation of a society or enterprise

It is certain for a building to be built it needs a sturdy infrastructure first.
inveigle: persuade (someone) to do something by means of deception or flattery

He inveigled her to do his homework by giving her compliments
kudos: fame and renown resulting from an act or achievement 

I gave him kudos for doing that, it took a lot of guts.
lagniappe:something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure

He was awarded the scholarship lagniappe because of his tremendous work.
prolix: (of speech or writing) using or containing too many words; tediously lengthy

His prolix made the rest of the story boring.
protégé: a person who is guided and supported by an older and more experienced or influential person

Ben Franklin was a protege to a newpaper editor when he was younger.
prototype: an early sample, model or release of a product built to test a concept or process or to act as a thing to be replicated or learned from

The Iphone released a prototype to allow users an userface interaction.
sycophant: a person who acts obsequiously toward someone important in order to gain advantage

I consider him a sycophant but everyone else just calls him a teacher's pet..
tautology: needless repetition of an idea, statement, or word

I need the tautology of vocabulary words to really remember them.
truckle: To be servile or submissive.

Every student is truckle to their teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mia!
    You studied with my vocab last week so I wanted to drop by and do the same. I'm confident that you will get into college, anywhere would be lucky to have you :P

    ReplyDelete